The subtle shift of air temperature, the excessive hand washing, and the absurd number of times ‘bless you’ rings throughout the office could only mean one thing: allergy season is here.
Allergies affect more than 50 million Americans every year. Chances are pretty high that some of your employees suffer from them. As a business owner, you learn to prepare for a number of potential roadblocks. But when productivity starts dipping because your employees can’t focus beyond their sinus headache, it might be time to direct them to some help.
That help can come from a pre-tax health plan called a health flexible spending account (FSA).
If you don’t offer this plan yet, here’s a brief explanation of how it works.
What is a health FSA?
A health FSA is a self-insured medical reimbursement plan often funded by the employee through payroll withholdings, but can be funded by you, the employer. This means that health FSAs are full of benefits for employers and employees alike:
- Provides tax savings for both.
- May increase employees’ awareness of out-of-pocket health care costs.
- Helps employees manage those out-of-pocket costs.
- Because FSAs are a common benefit, you can remain competitive in your quest to attract great employees.
- Increases cash flow for employees by having their annual election available from the first day of the plan year (Under this ‘uniform coverage rule,’ the employer must reimburse expenses up to the full amount of a participant's annual coverage election, even if those reimbursements exceed the participant's year-to-date contributions).
Health FSA*-eligible items to help with allergy season:
- Handheld steam inhaler- A fine mist that goes deep into your sinuses for relief.
- Nasal irrigation system – A complete, gentle cleansing system for sinuses.
- Aloe Vera lip balm with SPF – You can’t go wrong with some soothing lip balm.
- Allergy tablets/pills – A number of over-the-counter brands you likely recognize can be purchased with a health FSA.
- Nasal spray – A spray that provides relief from nasal congestion.
- Saline nose wipes – Great for kids, these wipes are made with saline to help dissolve mucus.
- Sinus compress – Moist heat therapy treatment that helps relieve sinus pressure.
- Sinus pack – Heat this one in the microwave and place over your eyes or neck to help with sore muscles.
- Device to unclog your ears – Yes, there are products for this!
- Eye drops – Products to help soothe itchy, watery eyes.
*Over-The-Counter (OTC) medicines and drugs purchased to alleviate or treat personal injuries or sickness of the employee or the employee's spouse or dependents require a subscription from a medical professional to qualify for reimbursement by a health FSA.
Did you know? You can purchase all of these items right from the FSA Store. And, by using the coupon code listed below, you can get $10 off your purchase. The discount requires no minimum order and there’s free shipping on orders over $50.
If your small business is considering offering pre-tax benefit plans, let PrimePay help. You’ll experience:
- Efficient live or email client support.
- Transparency regarding claims turnaround time.
- Participant support portal.
- Convenient mobile app.
Click here to learn more or fill out the form below.