We’re thrilled to announce PrimePay, which acquired SyncHR in 2021, rebranded the combined companies as PrimePay. Since then, we’ve made significant advancements in our technology platform to simplify payroll and HR for small and midsize organizations – it’s time our identity reflects what we’re able to deliver for growing organizations and their employees every day.
Shortly after I joined PrimePay | SyncHR ten months ago, I sat down with our CEO, Scott Johnson, to discuss our company’s future. While there was no shortage of “why” we needed to rebrand, we believed there was something special to build on with our combined 55 years of experience and innovation in payroll, HR, and benefits administration for small and midsize organizations.
Without going in to all the sausage-making, we aligned on the following questions:
- Who is our customer?
- What do we want to be known for and known as (by our customers)?
- How do we put meaning and value into our brand (for our customers)?
A brand is an empty vessel that we, PrimePay, must put meaning and value in the hearts and minds of our customers through the experience of our products, interactions with our people, and consistency of our communications.
And with the help of our customers, employees, and a brand partner (to bring an outside perspective and expertise), we crystallized answers to these questions that I would like to share with you.
Who is our customer? Six million small and midsize organizations (SMBs)
Upon starting at PrimePay, I spent time researching and getting to know our customers. I learned a lot:
- SMBs are fiercely independent and resilient engines — the majority (64%) of jobs in the U.S. created by SMBs.
- SMB owners are diverse — one-third are racial minorities; one-half are women; and one in four are immigrant-owned. And 7% are veteran owned.
- SMBs lack the political and social clout, capital access, and economies of scale enjoyed by large corporations, but they don’t let that stop them from pursuing their dreams.
- Technology and regulation are putting huge demands on SMBs to serve their customers and keep up with competition – over one-half of SMBs had to cut expenses in 2022 to survive.
In a post-pandemic world, the deck is more stacked against SMBs than ever. They have it much harder than big corporations to hire & retain excellent workers, control payroll expenses, and navigate ever-evolving tax codes and labor laws.
SMBs spend their scarce resources running their businesses — the last thing they want is to worry if their payroll and HR system is getting their checks right, their labor compliance is taken care of, and employee benefits are clear.
What do we want to be known for and known as by our customers?
PrimePay makes payroll and HR complexity disappear.
This is the heart of our message, the truth of what we do, in its simplest form. It is our anchor and our north star—holding us fast to our position, while showing us exactly where we need to go. It’s something we can easily share with both customers and colleagues. It’s what we believe in, so it’s what we deliver.
What does that mean? Just what it sounds like: We’re on our clients’ side—a flexible expert, right there, in the thick of HCM complexities— helping them simplify and streamline their work through our technology, know-how, and service.
So, let’s say it again: PrimePay makes payroll and HR complexity disappear.
How do we put meaning and value into our brand through our product?
Because PrimePay is a product (software) company, we felt we had to earn the right to rebrand the company starting with our product – we wanted to put proof in the pudding of the value we’re able to deliver to SMB employers and their employees: To make payroll and HR complexity disappear.
Since I joined, we embarked on a purpose-driven journey to build on our 37 years of payroll, HR, and benefits administration expertise with SMBs to advance our technology platform:
- December, 2022 we debuted the integration of PrimePay’s award-winning payroll software into SyncHR’s HR & Benefits software to bring a flexible all-in-one HCM platform to streamline payroll, HR, and benefits on a single system for employee data at an affordable cost.
- March, 2023 we unveiled Payroll-Connected On-Demand Pay in partnership with Clair, a financial wellness benefit where employees have access to their money to cover unforeseen expenses, with no fees to them and no cost to employers.
- June, 2023, we welcomed Adil Shabbir as Chief Product & Technology Officer, to lead the our HCM software-as-a-service (SaaS) innovation roadmap and next-generation platform to help SMBs tackle payroll and HR challenges and boost employee retention.
- Next month will be announcing an all-new mobile first experience in our HCM platform, bringing a new level of convenience and accessibility to employees and SMBs alike for payroll, time, benefits, and other HR services.
Our product focus is to deliver the “I can’t believe how simple that is” experience for payroll, HR, and finance pros and every employee. To replace manual work and frustrating spreadsheets with digital speed. To replace the compliance worries with confidence it’s all taken care of. To finally stop wasting time on things that should just work, so they can get back to work.
How do we Prove It?
To back up our claim, so we installed three pillars and a heaping handful of support points to prove and clarify our point of taking the complexities out of HR and payroll.
It just fits.
PrimePay is HR and payroll on our customer’s terms – a plug and play solution that your options, so you can quickly start with payroll or HR essentials and add benefits or time tracking when you need them.
- Payroll and HR your way: Slip automated, intelligent payroll and HR solutions into your current workflow – replacing time-consuming, manual steps without disrupting the way you work.
- Adapts to the way you work: Embrace the future of work with confidence, no matter how, when or where work happens – onsite, remote, or hybrid.
- You grow. We’ll be there. As you expand, know that we’ve got your back. Our payroll and HR system empowers you to add employees, locations, and new units, without added complexity.
It just works.
PrimePay is an HR and payroll solution that does what it should do – what you and every employee expect. Checks are right, taxes are taken care of, and benefits are clear. And the entire process is fast and simple for HR.
- All-in-one-place HR: Automatically manage PTO, accruals, and benefits alongside tools for labor management and reporting – and increasing satisfaction across your company.
- 1,2,3 payroll efficiency: Take care of the entire payroll process in three simple steps on a single, simple dashboard, so checks get out the door on-time and you can get back to work in no time.
- 37 years of handling the tough stuff: Take advantage of technology and support that’s backed by nearly four decades of learning from dealing with the ever-changing world of payroll and HR.
We’re all in.
PrimePay takes service seriously, and we’ve proven it for decades. So, you’ve got a guide to help you through all the challenges and changes that come with managing HR and payroll.
- 18,000 small & mid-size clients: Rest easy knowing you have the team and technology behind you that more than 18,000 small and midsize organizations rely on every day.
- Awarded, but never satisfied: PrimePay is consistently recognized as a leader in G2’s customer assessments and continuously investing, so we can outperform ourselves every quarter.
- Always there to support you: Tap into support experts to get quick answers to your questions, so you can get back to work.
This excerpt from our recent press release captures the essence of our rebrand:
The technology is “clearly built by HR professionals for HR professionals who need wide-ranging functionality without unnecessary complexity. We were looking for a complete range of integrated tools that support critical HR operations and are still compatible with our existing ERP and other business systems,” said Michael Bruno, Chief People Officer at The Arcticom Group. “It’s a level of access and control we’ve never had before and suits our unique business needs better than the cookie-cutter approach many other vendors force you into.”
How will we put meaning and value to our customers in our interactions and communications?
At PrimePay, putting meaning and value in the hearts and minds of our customers goes beyond the experience of our product to the interactions with our people, and consistency of our communications. For example, this week I asked a customer who recently installed our HR software, “what has your experience with our people been?” which he responded gleefully with “Carolyn (PrimePay employee) is my hero…she handles our issues with a smile.”
Building on our 37 years of experience and an unrelenting commitment to service, we’ve updated a few things in our interactions and communications to better reflect what want to be known for in the hearts and minds of our customers.
Our new logo is our anchor: It represents our evolved identity. You get a refreshed symbol and a fresh, new font. It’s clean and modern, yet has a friendly, approachable vibe. Just like us.
A vibrant new look: through a refreshed visual identity system and photography, you’ll see this expressed in our website, products, social presence, and other media.
All tone, all the time: At PrimePay, it’s about being professional, but casual. It’s about being confident, but conversational. And while it may be business-to-business, it’s always human-to-human – we have four principles in every communication: Be brief. Be real. Be conversational. Be relevant.
Guiding values: What PrimePay stands for and how we should act and behave in pursuit of our goals — Strive to exceed the highest expectations of every customer and their employees. Treat people with respect and kindness. Be excellent in everything you do. Do what is right and ethical.
Our rebranding is not just about a fresh coat of paint. It is all about our customers, 6 million small and midsize organizations who are defying the odds against big corporations every day. It is what we want to be known for and known as in their hearts and minds – we make payroll and HR complexity disappear. And it’s about proving that in the experience of our products, interactions with our people, and consistency in our communications.
The next chapter in our company’s history starts today as we begin rolling out our new brand identity to our customers, employees, and stakeholders.