Payroll processing is the core of any business. If you aren’t paying your workers, you soon won’t have a business.
As companies grow, payroll becomes tougher to handle with taxes and compliance, which subsequently puts unwanted stress on the company. You may think that outsourcing your payroll is not an option, however, in a previous blog post, we debunked some common misconceptions.
If you think your business is too small, that you can’t afford it, or that you’ll lose control of payroll functions, think again.
Entrepreneur magazine explains that, when chosen correctly, a payroll provider offers a less expensive, simpler way of paying your employees (and filing taxes).
Once you’ve determined that outsourcing payroll is right for your small business, here is a checklist of 21 great questions to ask before signing on the dotted line. Having answers to these questions will give you the confidence you need to ensure you’re making the best business decision.
21 Questions to Ask a Payroll Provider
- What does your basic service model include?
- Are there options to upgrade?
- What do you offer that the competitors don’t?
- What information do I need to sign up?
- What is the setup process like and how long until I will be able to run my first payroll?
- With your tax filing service, do you cover the penalties and/or interest charges?
- Do you offer filing assistance for local taxes?
- Do you handle taxes if I have employees in multiple states?
- Can you work with my CPA/accountant?
- How do I know my information is safe?
- What security measures do you take to ensure this?
- Will I work with the same customer service rep every time I need something?
- How often will I see my sales rep?
- Do you stand behind your work?
- What happens if you make a mistake; will you pay the penalties?
- Can you provide a couple of references from other small business owners?
- What’s the average length that clients stay with you?
- Are there any hidden fees that have not been mentioned yet (ex. startup costs)?
- What does your service cost for one year?
- How long are these rates in effect?
- Do you charge if I add more employees to my payroll?
Of course, you’re a smart business owner, so these are simply examples of good questions to ask, assuming you haven’t dealt with payroll before (or are looking to switch providers).
At PrimePay, we’re ready to answer all your questions about payroll! To start, find out more information about our all-inclusive payroll bundle here, or fill out the form below to request contact from one of our reps. We look forward to helping you with all your small business payroll needs.